Options for the future of waste management
The current stage of the Southern Landfill has only 4 years capacity remaining so we are looking into a range of alternatives.
We will be checking the alternatives against a set of values, including costs, environmental impacts, track records in similar locations to Wellington and the time required from decision to getting the technology fully up and running. Click here to find out more about the values we will be using.
Click here to read more detailed information about the alternatives.
· Closure of the existing Southern Landfill and transfer station, with waste being sent directly to other landfills
· Closure of the existing Southern Landfill and continued operation of the Southern Landfill transfer station, with waste transported to another landfill
· Extension of the existing Southern Landfill into the next stage
· Conventional (mass burn) incineration, including any pre-sorting required to make this option viable
· Advanced thermal treatment (gasification, pyrolysis), including any pre-sorting required to make this option viable
· Mechanical heat treatment combining mechanical sorting and heat treatment technologies to maximise recycling and reuse from general waste and processing the remainder
· Mechanical biological treatment an integrated system of several mechanical and biological processes run alongside a materials recovery facility to remove unsuitable materials